New Sharrows on South Huntington/Huntington Ave.

Snagged some photos around 11pm on Thursday night of workers burning some shiny new sharrows onto the road at the intersection of South Huntington Ave and Huntington Ave:

Here’s the Google Maps street view of what it looked like before:

This intersection was the scene of a very unfortunate incident back in April where a cyclist died after being stuck by an MBTA bus. Remember, a sharrow means you should take the lane, especially in that door zone! And please don’t let your wheel get caught in those T-tracks.

This entry was posted in News/Reports/Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to New Sharrows on South Huntington/Huntington Ave.

1. cyclostat says:

I’m really glad that the city did something, but sharrows feel like a cop-out, don’t they?

I don’t want to make an overly emotional argument, but a person died there. Couldn’t they put in some bikes lanes? Most drivers don’t even notice sharrows.

2. greg says:

I’d agree with you that sharrows might not be the best solutions, but to play devil’s advocate for a moment, certain restrictions prevent awesome bike facilities from happening aside from politics. One being space and the other being cost.

Sharrows are the cheapest solution to a street constrained by width, especially if the city is unwilling to give up an entire lane to put in a bike lane. I’m pretty sure the sharrows were going in as part of the grander bike-lane plan, and not as a response to April’s incident.

If I had it my way, I’d install dedicated cycle-tracks: Behold, Exhibit A.

3. Pingback: Boston Biker » Blog Archive » New Bike Lanes On Ruggles

4. apricissimus says:

@greg

I personally prefer the sharrows to a bike lane, especially on a street as narrow and congested as Huntington. If bike lanes are present, motorists often assume that that’s where a bike is supposed to be, and that they have to keep to the bike lane. On a street like Huntington, there’s no way you’re going to be able to stay in the bike lane.

I love me a good sharrow in the middle of the lane.

5. Geoff says:

I love how your Exhibit A is exactly like that area of South Huntington!

I was recently in Amsterdam for a week and felt like the excuse that Boston’s streets are too old and narrow and crazy doesn’t hold any weight when you look at the streets of A’dam. If there was the will, this could be physically achieved, but i don’t see it happening anytime soon.

i feel the sharrow is simply a reminder to both bikes and drivers of the laws that are already in place. that said, better than nothing…

6. Paul Schimek says:

How would a bike lane have helped save Eric Hunt? He fell due to the trolley tracks, and then was hit by a passing bus. You can also fall outside of the bike lane (e.g., after being doored, as in the Dana Laird fatality in Cambridge in 2002).
    I like the Shared Lane Markings, but I think an advisory sign would also help:

7. Frances says:

Hi Greg, Your Exhibit A is right around the corner from my Uncle’s house in Amsterdam & where I’ve bicycled many times! I had fun just now making my way to his house via google maps! Rebecca